All-New, All-Different Package
Hi. I realize I've been out of touch for a long while. What have I been up to for the last year?
- I spent a lot of time at work. Too much time at work, really.
- I watched the Pittsburgh Pirates futiley battle their way to the bottom of the National League Central. On the bright side, past performance is no guarantee of future results.
- I took a trip to Philadelphia to see the Dalí exhibit, a trip to Washington, DC to see the Goldsworthy on display at the National Gallery, and a trip to Toronto for the Toronto Comic Arts Festival.
- I switched computer platforms, ditching my seven year-old Windows 98 box to a shiny new Macintosh PowerBook running OS X Tiger. I've got to tell you, it's nice to have a system that has more than 500 MB of storage space, which doesn't crash every five minutes while you're running Photoshop. And don't get me started about the joys of Photoshop CS 2.
- I didn't do a lot of drawing or writing, and what little I did wound up going nowhere or being virtually unusable. In fact, I think I managed to go about six months without putting pencil to paper for an extended period of time.
- I purchased a Nintendo DS and spent way too much time playing Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow and Metroid Prime Pinball. Which probably goes a long way towards explaning why I didn't do a lot of drawing or writing.
- I turned 30 and wasted a month feeling old and useless.
- I took a week-long vacation in Japan, and had the time of my life.
I realize I probably should have said something about this mess beforehand, but I've got a bad habit of making big announcements and not delivering. So I decided to hold back, and before I knew it, a whole year had passed. My apologies. It won't happen again. Here's a quick run-down of what to expect in the near future:
- This blog is up and running right now, and I should be updating it on a regular basis from now on. I'll start tomorrow with some photos and stories from my trip to Japan.
- The Japanese Beetle! is done for the forseeable future. It had a good run, but I just don't have the same enthusiasm for these characters that I once did, and it's hard to do something new with them that doesn't require starting over again from scratch, which I don't want to do.
- Unfortunately, I don't have a strip to replace it with right now. But I've finally started sketching again, and ideas are starting to string themselves together. Once I finally have something to share, I'll add a strip above the blog area here on the site.
- The message boards should be back up later this week, and I'll be upgrading the system so we're not drowning in Russian spam. You'll need to register for a new account, and you'll need to be registered in order to post, even on the Five-Card Nancy forums. Sorry. (Also: I don't have the time to monitor the message boards 24/7 to weed out the spam. If anyone is interested in being a moderator, e-mail me at
- I've also got a shiny new version of the 741.5 System to show off just as soon as I can get the documentation finished. It's a lot smaller and faster than before, and it does that cute little calendar thing that everyone else seems to love (though I can't stand it).